Friday 2 October 2009

Same old...

Ann raised a valid point for me yesterday. I can come up with a handful of card ideas that could be easily repeatable if you need to semi-mass produce your Christmas cards. But my limit is definitely about 10. Not a great indication of my attention span, huh! Truly though, however easy they are to make, I get bored very quickly. I make about 80 cards for Mr Dunnit's company and they always end up with a variety box - you know the confusing label - 4 each of 20 designs - or something like it. And it's not to showcase my skill (it's only stamping!) it's to stop me getting RPCCS (repetitive Christmas card syndrome); because that makes me lazy and corner cutty and then I hate the cards and myself and oh my goodness a spiral of things happen the end of which you know is filled with guilt, mince pies and more guilt! (The biggest argument for my backing away from Wedding stationery!). And don't you find..you're half way through something that you've repeated a couple of times and you get that lightbulb thing -'oh I could do this, and such and such with this....' and off you go on a fresh line, which is so much better for the creative flow. This little card, cuttlebug a-plenty, was quietly contemplated at the workshop yesterday by The Librarian. She reluctantly admitted that she couldn't really see the attraction of a nearly all-white Christmas card with a VULTURE on it. Can't see it myself. But you begin to understand why I get involved in these things...even an international symbol for peace can reduce me to tears of laughter in the right hands! Joy.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

The librarian clearly does n't see the benefits of coming up with a completely original idea ... Let me be your agent ... I will sell the concept far and wide until ... White Christmas just rolls of the tongue ...

Lovely card BTW ... I can make a two second white card if you want more ideas ... Think it may be Xmas 08 on me blog ... Help yourself X

Sarah said...

I actually like the all white Christmas card myself, very original.
Well done you.

Jay said...

It's a lovely card - once I got the bird the right way up!!!!!

Paige said...

Must say I think there is some very posh about an all (or almost all) white christmas card....... even with a VULTURE lol on it! You're braver than me I get feed up with making christmas cards before I have finished the first one. they are bought in this house. (although I mostly send 'e' cards to help with my carbon footprint).

CoventryAnn said...

Another one who can't see the vulture either. I think after reading your post that it partly explains why i'm a scrapper, not so much a card maker, as each page is always different.

Claire said...

Gorgeous card hun.
xx

Carmen said...

I'm so lazy, so lazy. I get a pack of the free photo cards from vistaprint where you just pay postage. Have a cheesey pic of the girls on the front (I make them pose in Christmas hats... the same Christmas hats every year)... once they've run out - the people that didn't get one...um... don't get one! I love Christmas but I hate, detest, now absolutely refuse to do Christmas cards. Think it comes from Mum roping us in to write millions of the things to anyone and everyone... including the man that used to deliver her milk 20 years before I was born and the neighbours she used to moan about throughout the year. :D

airing cupboard crafts said...

Beautiful Card Julia. Sorry I missed the crop today I hope you all had fun.

Smudgemakes said...

I like your card, it's fab! Although, I only realised it was white when you mentioned it! I was slouching and it looked like kraft colour! That will teach me to sit up straight!!

maxine said...

Beautiful card and great blog.

Fiona said...

Lol - made me smile - I can only just about do one Christmas card and then I'm on to the next - what's the point of having all these lovely Christmas stamps if I only do one design!