Friday 22 January 2010

Read these numbers

There's a bunch of really great sounding, year long scrapbook 'classes' available online at the moment; the turn of the year always brings these and this year there seems to be a trend towards using numbers instead of words for a title. Me likeee. And in the true tradition of my position as 'follower', I've started this here mini album and imaginatively entitled it '12 of 16'. Bit of background then? Hell yes, this is me doing the typing! I am one of four sisters and we lived abroad with parents who believed in the joy of travel - there must have been kerjillions of photos. But tragedy struck and on one of many house moves back in the day, a crate containing albums photos and keepsakes was lost. It was probably on a ship in a container with crates belonging to other families, containing much more important stuff, but for us it has proven a real loss. Anyway, to counter that, and because digital photography has drastically reduced the cost of such lunacy, I encourage Miss Dunnit to take a camera (and use it) whenever she's out and about with chums.
And generally she does. So this little album will show some of the silly and lovely shots that she's taken over her sixteenth year. I'm mostly using Basic Grey's Sugar Rush (because I like it) and will keep journalling (by me) to a minimum. When I told her what I planned, Miss Dunnit was as usual, luke warm about me using her photos, doing another album, blah blah...but since I finished a couple pages and she can see the sort of direction of it, she likes it! She might even do some journalling herself. But don't hold your collective breath on my behalf. 'Might' and 'in a minute' are added to anything I ask of her these days! Have a good weekend.

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Oooooo keep the mini book lay outs coming please ... I am Cr*p at scrapping and have just started two mini books this very week ... and I am going to nick all your ideas :0)

mckinkle said...

What a lovely Mum you are Julia! Miss Dunnit will sure appreciate it even if it's not cool to be obvious with it!
Keryn :D

Carmen said...

This book is going to be fabulous! She will cherish it I bet even if she doesn't admit it :P

Deanne said...

aw this is a fab idea :) i love it when jack comes home from school and says 'Mummy i've drew a picture for your craft room if you'd like it' :) bless um

Twiglet said...

What a lovely idea. I'm sure she will love it.
A x
ps our shop shelves are now full if you fancy checking them out and there is a shop gift draw going on :-)

Rosie said...

Such a lovely keepsake for her - and I promise she WILL appreciate it one day! Love those papers!!

Annie said...

oops Twiglet was here and had signed on to my computer so I've been leaving messages everywhere in her name. Sorry.
A x

Paige said...

A lovely idea. looking forward to each page as you post them. what size are they? 6X6?

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

I thought the numbers and some other bits in your first photo were fabric and even in close-up the spotty paper/card still looks like fabric - they all look fab anyway :)
Anne xx

Jo said...

Brilliant idea Julia, I made my daughter a 12 x 12 scrapbook for her 18th birthday, starting with a page for each year, by the time I had added all her sports teams, fav things etc it was 40 pages!!! She loved it tho' and her friends all said they wished that their Mum would do it for them! Pinching her photos without her knowing was a bit tricky but we did it!! Can't wait to see more of your pages, they are great. Hugs Jo x

Ann said...

Lovely idea Julia and I'm sure she appreciates it really - she's probably just trying to be a typical 'cool' teenager!
Please show us more pages as you do them.

Lyn said...

I do hope Miss Dunnit will journal to make it truly hers as well as a labour of love from her mom - she may not ever scrapbook herself, but at least she can do it vicariously through you! Love the idea of using numbers as the title.

ally fiddy said...

Fab idea love it, and the papers are gorgeous. I am sure Ms D will appreciate it one day - or may ber children or her childrens children..... :-)

Hels Sheridan said...

Brilliant idea and amazing LO's hun...it is sad that all those photo's got lost...I think that our generation are more into keeping pics and memento's now we have scrapbooking to journal them all away in...*says the woman who has a box full of photo's and tickets, restaurant receipts, shells, bits n bobs all waiting, patiently, to be scrapped LOL*

Unknown said...

Julia this is wonderful and a great keepsake for your daughter, how horrible to loose your photos.....I have stacks of 3 generations that need to be sorted out...if only my shed was bigger...mmm, or Brian's is next door to mine....LOL....love those Basic Grey papers, have to get some in my stash...Hugs Avril xxx

Annie said...

Thanks for your lovely comment and the link. You have been added to the draw. Good luck Julia.
A x

Sheilagh said...

You always have such lovley ideas, thank you for the inspiration.

There is something for you on my blog.

Best wishes

Sheilagh

Kay said...

Lovely idea. I know what you mean about the "in a minute" and the "might"... got two DDs of my own and, even though they are now in their 20's, they still seem to act like teenagers most of the time, except when they are acting like two year olds!!

CoventryAnn said...

You know me Julia, anything to encourage more scrapbooking gets my vote, and much as she may mumble now (having 2 teen girls makes me an expert!!) she will be so glad you made this in the future!

Anonymous said...

ooh, sugar rush, lush! sweet little book for miss dunnit, but you've got to love her blasé approach to your efforts! xx